A typical summer day in Flagler
The settlement that is now Flagler began with the unlikely name of "Bowser" (named for the dog of the owner of the general store and post office). It started along a siding of the Rock Island Railroad in 1888. When the railroad platted the townsite, they named the place "Malowe" (after the railroad attorney M.A. Lowe). A few years later, Henry Flagler's daughter stayed in the area for a while and asked that the town be named for her father (an East Coast railroad magnate and oil man). So that's the name that was put on the incorporation papers...
These days, Flagler is a center for the cultivation of wheat and corn. The town also promotes itself as the "Birdseed Capital of the World" because of a Wagner's Wild Bird Seed Plant that is the largest private employer in the area.
Kit Carson County Related PagesBethune - Burlington - Flagler - Seibert
Stratton - Vona - Kit Carson County