Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland
The Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor was designated by Congress to help preserve, protect and celebrate the trails, industries, commerce and towns and cities that grew up along the first 110 miles of one of America's earliest and most successful canal ventures. The National Heritage Corridor is a joint venture of the National Park Service, Canalway Partners and the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition. Canalway Partners works for the Ohio & Erie Canalway mostly in Cleveland and Cuyahoga Counties while The Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition works primarily in Stark, summit and Tuscarawas Counties.
A particular project of Canalway Partners is the preservation and restoration of several Hulett bulk unloaders still standing on the docks in Cleveland. The Huletts were invented by George H. Hulett in 1898 and were built (after 1903) by the Wellman-Seaver-Morgan Company in Cleveland. When placed in operation on the docks, this new technology brought the cost of unloading ore and other bulk materials from lake freighters into railroad cars down from 19 cents per ton to 6 cents per ton. More than 80 of these huge machines were built and placed at seaports throughout the Great Lakes. Today only a very few remain.
Inside the 1890 Arcade Building in Cleveland
Hulett bulk material unloaders on the Cleveland docks
Bottom photo courtesy of Canalway Partners
Map courtesy of the National Park Service