Lake Valley Historic Townsite


Lake Valley Historic Townsite
Lake Valley Historic Townsite
A Lake Valley classic

Lake Valley was founded after silver was discovered in the area in 1878. Almost overnight the town boomed to a population of 4,000. Today, the silver is gone and only the ghost town remains. The schoolhouse and chapel have been restored by the BLM, and other buildings in town have been stabilized to slow further deterioration. There is also now a self-guided interpretive walk through the townsite.

Drinking water is available and there is a toilet near the old schoolhouse. There are no other facilities or services.

To get to the Lake Valley Historic Townsite: Go west from Caballo Lake on NM 152. At Hillsboro turn left and go south on NM 27. Or, from NM 26 at the town of Nutt, go north on NM 27 for 12 miles to the townsite.

The property is open year round, although it is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. There are no fees involved.

Lake Valley Historic Townsite church
Lake Valley Historic Townsite church
Lake Valley School
Classroom in the Lake Valley Schoolhouse
Photos courtesy of the Bureau of Land Management