The Martin Harris Monument in Clarkston
Clarkston was laid out, platted and founded in 1864 by Israel Justus Clark, an early settler in the area. Clark was the first Branch President of the LDS Church in Clarkston but when the Clarkston Ward was organized in 1867, William Rigby was the bishop.
Clarkston is most known as the town where Martin Harris lived the final years of his life. Martin Harris was one of the Three Witnesses, three men who signed a common statement that the plates from which the Book of Mormon were translated were presented to them by an angel... That statement was enclosed at the back in the first printing of the Book of Mormon but was moved to a prominent placement in the front of the book by the time of the second printing. As much as he later argued with Joseph Smith and soon left the church, he never recanted on that statement. Toward the end of his life he was rebaptized into the church and lived with friends in Clarkston. His grave site is now a Utah Historic Site.
Fast Facts about Clarkston, Utah
High School or Higher: 100%
Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 18.2%
Graduate or Professional Degree: 1.3%
Cost of Living Index for Clarkston: 83.8
Median Household Income: $68,700
Median Home Value: $154,100
Median Resident Age: 30.0 Years
Manufacturing, Construction, Educational Services, Government, Agriculture, Utilities
Unemployed (March 2015): 3.2%